“All I want is a cabin in the woods with Wi-Fi” has been a trending meme on social media for years. But in light of the recent pandemic, many city residents are looking to turn what may have been an idle fantasy about pastoral living into their new reality.
If you’re looking for a new home where hardly anyone roams, then consider a brand new finished home within a lake community on the shores of Cayuga Lake, the largest of the Finger Lakes in upstate New York.
Named Oak Harbor, this 30-acre development is the brainchild of Woodhouse–The Timber Frame Company President Patrick Seaman’s father, Tom. In 1970 he purchased the property, and in 2005 it was subdivided into 12 expansive building sites—they dot this stretch of land that borders the famous 750-acre Taughannock Falls State Park
The property is a nature lover’s paradise, home to whitetail deer, turkeys, foxes, loons, and red-tailed hawks. Other key features of Oak Harbor include:
- A nature trail, swimming area, large T-shaped boat dock, gazebo, and picnic tables
- Attractive community entrance with professional landscaping and signage
- A town-owned and maintained road that is directly off New York State Route 89 provides year-round access
- Oak Harbor is five minutes from the quaint Village of Trumansburg, with a population under 2,000. It is home to famed eateries, a delightful farmers market, quaint shops, and many professional services
- A 5-minute drive time to the local grocery store
- Nearby employers include Cayuga Medical Center (15 minutes) Ithaca College (25 minutes), Cornell University (27 minutes), and Borg Warner (30 minutes)
- The community sports a sunrise pavilion with benches and breathtaking views
- Lake and beach access parking lot for residents
- The lake is accessible via sturdy stairway or gravel golf cart path
- The neighborhood nature trail leads to an overlook of Cayuga Lake
- The neighborhood shares a southern border with 750-acre Taughannock Falls State Park, which includes the tallest waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains
- Reasonable HOA fees—currently $169 a month
- Residents have the option to install a covered boat hoist
- Community is within the Trumansburg Central School District
- Four more state parks are located within 30 minutes of Oak Harbor, including Watkins Glen State Park
Ready-To-Move-In Timber Frame Masterpiece For Sale
The newest home for sale in Oak Harbor is based on Woodhouse’s Aerie design, a custom contemporary floor plan with natural elements, including two stone fireplaces, and wrought iron accents.
“This is the exact floor plan as my last home,” Seaman says. “So I know how this home lives and it’s very peaceful.”
The $1.2 million, five-bedroom, four full baths, and one half-bath home features 4,799 sq. ft. of living space. A covered formal timber frame entryway leads into an open floor plan with white oak flooring underfoot. Overhead is a soaring cathedral ceiling with massive timbers of Southern Yellow Pine, intricately joined with the centuries-old craft of timber framing, using mortise and tenon joinery.
Large Andersen 400 series windows bathe the interior of the home with abundant sunlight, while providing excellent insulation during the colder winter months. French doors in the great room lead to a large exterior deck with a timber frame roof overhead and plenty of space for outdoor entertaining. Other key features include:
- The home is set on a 2.2 acre parcel
- The great room has dramatic up-lighting to showcase the massive timbers in the evening, with large cascading windows, and a wood-burning fireplace with three-story stone surround
- The luxurious kitchen has a timeless design with granite countertops, cherry cabinets, stone tile back-splash, Jenn-air convection gas oven and range, and a breakfast bar
- The sizeable pantry is equipped with a microwave and convection oven
- The main floor master suite has a balcony, large walk-in closet, dressing room and en suite with dual granite vanities and spacious Travertine tile shower
- The lower level has a woodburning fireplace in a spacious den, as well as two more bedrooms and two full baths.
- The large bonus space over the attached three-car garage, which has a separate entrance, can be a home office, guest suite or rec room,
- The 300-foot driveway is paved in asphalt, making snow removal in the winter a snap
Why the Finger Lakes?
Oak Harbor is located on the eastern edge of the Finger Lake region, nestled between the Village of Trumansburg and the city of Ithaca. The entire Finger Lakes region spans roughly 100 miles and it’s become a cultural mecca, home to the Corning Museum of Glass, the Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, and the National Women’s Hall of Fame. The proliferation of wineries within the Finger Lakes area has led to it recently being named “America’s Best Wine Region” for two years in a row. The area also sports the nation’s first “Wine Trail,” along Cayuga Lake. Nearby Ithaca boasts more restaurants per capita than New York City.
To Find Out More
There are a variety of ways to learn more about the new custom timber frame home for sale and the four remaining building lots at Oak Harbor. One can click here to request a tour of the home, or click here for a photo gallery and video tour of the home.
We think you will agree that you could soon be living your best life in the Finger Lakes.